“Things Every Southern Woman Should Know How to Make”

Image
Alice clicked on the headline, mildly curious about what yet another stranger thought should be in her kitchen repertoire. Pictures of China plates mounded with crispy fried chicken, greens, cobbler, and a pile of biscuits a mile high flooded the screen, all set off with a pitcher of sweet tea beaded with condensation. The table was set; an apron draped off to the side next to a box labeled “Gramma’s Recipes” in fine calligraphy. She closed the browser and put away her tablet. She was born a Georgia peach, but she couldn’t make a cobbler to save her life. Did that mean she wasn’t southern? Or maybe just not “Southern.” For Alice, there was no recipe box full of family traditions. Her younger years were filled with rental homes in different states and her father’s voice coaxing her toward a text book rather than a cookbook. Metalworking and fabrication held more interest than learning to flambé or sauté. Did it make her less of a woman that her cooking skills consisted of fresh salads

The Next Big Thing Blog Hop


Sooo…I’m it. I was tagged by Alexander Pierce, aka @redantisocial, and since we share a love of the wonderful Nanaki, I’ll play along. The last time I was, um, carefully chosen to talk about my WIP, I gushed about INSATIABLE, but today, I have a shiny new WIP to talk about.


What is the working title of your book?

LEAD ME BACK HOME. Normally, the last thing I think of is a title, and they’re usually about as tormenting to come up with as writing *ahem* a query letter. This one though, I was listening to a lot of Halestorm while I wrote it, and there was a particular song that just really made me feel the whole thing.


Where did the idea come from for your book?

I had a ragey redhead running around in my head, and I decided to let him out. Also, I was playing Dragon Age II at the time, and I was fascinated with how magic, blood magic in particular, was viewed in the world of the game. Overlaying that was this dark, broody feeling, and it all sort of meshed together.


What genre does your book fall under?

YA Supernatural. I think it fits nicely there. It’s got just a little too much magic for Magical Realism.


Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

I haven’t the foggiest. I never really try to picture anyone as one of my characters, but I think it’d be fun to watch the auditions.


What is the one sentence synopsis of your book?

*Sigh* You had to ask that. Okay, here goes:

Both Trisha Myles and the willfully unsociable Jesse Reagan are caught in the aftermath of their shattered lives, but together, if they can overcome Jesse’s curse and need for blood magic, and Trisha can rise above her sister’s death, they might be able to find something good in all of the bad.

Um, how was that?


Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?

I hope to start querying just as soon as I’ve been ripped apart by a few CPs and am comfortable with revisions. Gotta get the ol’ letter nice and polished first, though. *hides shaking hands*


How long did it take for you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

Six to eight months. I tend to revise as I go, and I got distracted by all the shiny contests this summer.


What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

Maybe Jeri Smith-Ready’s SHADE series. Though my spirits aren’t ghosts…


Who or what inspired you to write this book?

My desire to write in general was inspired by awesome English teachers and Writing professors. I had more than my fair share of teachers as a construction kid. Some of them let me entertain myself by turning my vocabulary sentences into short stories.

Also, my mom. She encouraged us to read, and kept me in a supply of books as I was growing up. It’d be awesome and super fulfilling if I could spark someone’s imagination like mine was by all the books I read.


What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?

Hmm. It’s sort of twisted and dark. Trisha kicks ass, Jesse throws skillets, and for the romancers out there, there’s some kissing, too.

TAG!


@gypsyroots aka John Lucas Hargis, a mastermind of Phreak!

@nikkiurang aka Nikki Urang, CP extraordinaire!

@amandaburckhard aka Amanda Burckhard, excellent CP and agented!

@CareyTorg aka Carey Torgesen, I hear she has ALL THE KISSING!

@feakysnucker aka FEAKY SNUCKER T!, because I heart her and her potty mouth dearly!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Writer's Voice Contest Entry

The Writer's Voice 2013: LEAD ME BACK HOME

Ghosts...and the Girls Who Love Them Bloghop and Giveaway