“Things Every Southern Woman Should Know How to Make”

Image
Alice clicked on the headline, mildly curious about what yet another stranger thought should be in her kitchen repertoire. Pictures of China plates mounded with crispy fried chicken, greens, cobbler, and a pile of biscuits a mile high flooded the screen, all set off with a pitcher of sweet tea beaded with condensation. The table was set; an apron draped off to the side next to a box labeled “Gramma’s Recipes” in fine calligraphy. She closed the browser and put away her tablet. She was born a Georgia peach, but she couldn’t make a cobbler to save her life. Did that mean she wasn’t southern? Or maybe just not “Southern.” For Alice, there was no recipe box full of family traditions. Her younger years were filled with rental homes in different states and her father’s voice coaxing her toward a text book rather than a cookbook. Metalworking and fabrication held more interest than learning to flambé or sauté. Did it make her less of a woman that her cooking skills consisted of fresh salads

Ramblings of a Casual Gamer: PS4 and Xbox One


I’m not a hardcore gamer, but I do get all giddy when the E3 show comes around. My eyes go all round and shiny while I wait eagerly to see the new consoles and games. I had to hold back happy tears when I watched the rebranding video for Final Fantasy Versus XIII. Square-Enix is cranking out the beautiful world-building that snags me every time, and I’m interested to see how the newly named Final Fantasy XV plays. Other shinies I want to get my grabby hands on are Kingdom Hearts 3, Assassin’s Creed 4, Thief, and The Order:1886.   
I’ve eagerly awaited the official unveilings of the PS4 and Xbox One as well. I generally lean to Playstation, but I do own both current consoles, cause ya know, Fable.
That being said, Microsoft has lost me with the Xbox One. First and foremost because of the required internet connection.

Get ready, folks: I do not have home internet service. I live in the boonies. Only recently have they advertised broadband in my area, and the fine print makes me less than confident in its ability to handle gaming. While I can check my email and Twitter to my little heart’s content via my phone data plan, attaching to a home game console is a no-go. So, even connecting to the internet every 24 hours is out of the question.

Then there are the game restrictions. Really, Microsoft? You can only share a game once? Dear 13-year-olds, please pick ONE friend to swap games with.
On the reselling side, I sort of get it. I do. If that guy buys this game used, then the publisher doesn’t see any profit. But used games can be good, too, especially for lesser known franchises. For example, I walk into a game store and pick up this obscure game I’ve never heard of out of the bargain bin. Maybe it was a small seller and the production was short. It’s not available new. Maybe it’s a game I’m leery about sinking $60 into. In either case, the bargain bin game’s in a price range where I’m not going to scream and throw something if I hate it.

I take it home, play it, love it. Guess what? If it’s a series, I’m going to buy the next game new. If it’s standalone, I’m going to look for other games by the publisher and buy them new. So maybe they didn’t get the money from the one game. But that one game introduced me to them, and now I’ve bought/preordered the next five. I think that’s still a win.
I’m not even going to get started on the voyeuristic qualities of having my Xbox always listening to me.

So, come new console time, it looks like I’ll be leaning totally toward PS4.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Writer's Voice Contest Entry

The Writer's Voice 2013: LEAD ME BACK HOME

Ghosts...and the Girls Who Love Them Bloghop and Giveaway