“Things Every Southern Woman Should Know How to Make”

Image
Alice clicked on the headline, mildly curious about what yet another stranger thought should be in her kitchen repertoire. Pictures of China plates mounded with crispy fried chicken, greens, cobbler, and a pile of biscuits a mile high flooded the screen, all set off with a pitcher of sweet tea beaded with condensation. The table was set; an apron draped off to the side next to a box labeled “Gramma’s Recipes” in fine calligraphy. She closed the browser and put away her tablet. She was born a Georgia peach, but she couldn’t make a cobbler to save her life. Did that mean she wasn’t southern? Or maybe just not “Southern.” For Alice, there was no recipe box full of family traditions. Her younger years were filled with rental homes in different states and her father’s voice coaxing her toward a text book rather than a cookbook. Metalworking and fabrication held more interest than learning to flambé or sauté. Did it make her less of a woman that her cooking skills consisted of fresh salads

The First (and probably) Worst Blog

Well since this is the attic for my brain clutter, I guess I should start unpacking the mess.  So, to start:

I am a fantasy fiend.  Ever since I was a kid, I've loved magic and castles, knights and dragons.  I'm not really sure where the obsession began, but I think it might have had something to do with the millions of times I watched The Last Unicorn as a kid.  From there, I moved to novels that swept me away into worlds that fascinated me and characters that I couldn't get enough of.   

I loved to watch it and read fantasy, but it wasn't until I was ten that I knew I wanted to write it.  My brain has always been full of stories, of what-ifs and characters to enact those scenarios, but the best part is:

I get to make stuff up.  Simple, yet true.  In fantasy, nothing is impossible or improbable because it's my world and I can do whatever I want to, haha!    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Writer's Voice Contest Entry

The Writer's Voice 2013: LEAD ME BACK HOME

Ghosts...and the Girls Who Love Them Bloghop and Giveaway