Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Chopped

A little over a week ago, I did something pretty drastic. The thought of it terrified me, but the more I thought about it, the more I knew it was something I needed to do. So, with the encouragement of many friends and coworkers, I took a breath, steeled myself...
 
And cut my hair.
 
I should note that I haven't cut my hair in many, many years. Up until a couple months ago, it was past my hips. In the winter, I could wrap it around my neck like a scarf. Then I needed to get a picture taken, so I went for a trim.
 
A trim that took off over a foot of hair.
 
And it was still to the middle of my back.
 
A couple months later, my mom decided she wanted a pixie cut, so I took her on her birthday to a local salon. They did an excellent job, which gave me the courage to do what I'd been thinking about.
 
I browsed the web for days, looking for a haircut I like and thought I could manage. Some were adorable, but I didn't know if I had the skill to pull it off. Then I found one that was so cute, and looked so easy to do, so I went for it.
 
I made an appointment with the same salon, showed Jenny what I wanted, and asked her to cut the length off in a ponytail. After she was sure this was what I really wanted, she grabbed a pair of scissors and began to cut.
 
I am highly pleased with myself because I didn't cry.
 
This was what it looked like for my author photo after the trim:
 
 
 
This is what Jenny cut off a week ago:
 
 
 
 
 
 
That's 17 inches!
 
 
 
 
This was my hair freshly cut:
 
 
And this is how it looks now. (I apparently have natural wave!)
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment