“Things Every Southern Woman Should Know How to Make”

Image
Alice clicked on the headline, mildly curious about what yet another stranger thought should be in her kitchen repertoire. Pictures of China plates mounded with crispy fried chicken, greens, cobbler, and a pile of biscuits a mile high flooded the screen, all set off with a pitcher of sweet tea beaded with condensation. The table was set; an apron draped off to the side next to a box labeled “Gramma’s Recipes” in fine calligraphy. She closed the browser and put away her tablet. She was born a Georgia peach, but she couldn’t make a cobbler to save her life. Did that mean she wasn’t southern? Or maybe just not “Southern.” For Alice, there was no recipe box full of family traditions. Her younger years were filled with rental homes in different states and her father’s voice coaxing her toward a text book rather than a cookbook. Metalworking and fabrication held more interest than learning to flambé or sauté. Did it make her less of a woman that her cooking skills consisted of fresh salads

Ramblings of a Gamer: Kingdom Hearts III and a Storytelling Fail


**** SPOILER ALERT: IF YOU HAVEN”T PLAYED AND HAVE MANAGED TO AVOID SPOILERS, RUN AWAY NOW! *****

Still here? For real, there’s going to be spoilers because I can’t talk about this without them. Staying? Okay! Here we go!



I’ve been a fan of the Kingdom Hearts series since the early days. The thought of Final Fantasy mashed together with my fave Disney characters was just odd enough to make me check it out, and that gorgeous opening sequence with Utada Hikaru’s Simple and Clean absolutely drew me in. The game was beautiful and strange, and it had a compelling story that somehow made these characters from completely different franchises work.
I bought a Gameboy Advance to play Chain of Memories, and I eagerly snatched up KH2 when it came out, but after that, I couldn’t keep up. There were too many games on too many platforms, and while I love my gaming collection, I’m not much of a handheld gamer, and I couldn’t justify all these extra purchases for a single game.
Still, I eagerly awaited Kingdom Hearts III, and twelve long years later, Square-Enix finally released it. The game was ridiculously sold out locally, but I finally got my hands on it in March.
I have thoughts, too many for one post, but I’m going to start with this one because it hits my writer nerve, and I can’t stop thinking about it.
The story in this game is a mess. Not even the recaps accessed from the menu screen could completely pull the story together for me. The timeline of events was difficult to place with the different side stories that had been woven into the main game. The main characters of the original storyline were shuffled off to the sidelines, doing things that were given cursory attention while the characters from the smaller games became the focus.
I wanted Kairi, Riku, and Sora to finally be a team and to get to fight together. It would have made sense after KH2; our team was together at last! What can they do now they’re united! I wanted to see their story coming to a satisfying conclusion, but instead we set off on a half-ass journey to regain powers and maybe put Roxas back together. Which leads me to a major storytelling fail in this game:

Sora should not have been the main character.

With the story we’re given, Riku should have been our protagonist. He’s the one doing important things, struggling with his darkness and against enemies even with great power, and progressing the story. When he struggles, it matters.
When Sora struggles, it’s blown off so easily and quickly that there’s no sense of urgency at all. We follow him around and listen to half-pint jokes, but it feels like we’re on a road trip rather than a mission. When the matter of Roxas came up, I thought, “Finally, a real mission!”
Nope. We continue the road trip, and the whole Roxas issue is resolved without us, and other than the convenient fact of Sora acting like a heart footlocker, we’re not necessary to that plotline at all. If you took Sora, Donald, and Goofy out of this game, for the most part, nothing would change.
Towards the end, there’s this kinda cool thing where Sora helps the different teams reunite during one of last battles, and I thought, why couldn’t this have been the story? Reuniting these friends, restoring their hearts and bonds in order to defeat Organization XIII once and for all would have at least given our journey purpose.
That would have been a cool game.
But no. We got the meh, messy tale of a sidekick and his buddies wandering around doing the job with the least impact.
You might argue in the end that Sora’s the only one who could have defeated Xenahort, but I’m not sold on that. The rest of the game didn’t sell it. And that’s a storytelling fail.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Writer's Voice Contest Entry

The Writer's Voice 2013: LEAD ME BACK HOME

Ghosts...and the Girls Who Love Them Bloghop and Giveaway