“Things Every Southern Woman Should Know How to Make”

Image
Alice clicked on the headline, mildly curious about what yet another stranger thought should be in her kitchen repertoire. Pictures of China plates mounded with crispy fried chicken, greens, cobbler, and a pile of biscuits a mile high flooded the screen, all set off with a pitcher of sweet tea beaded with condensation. The table was set; an apron draped off to the side next to a box labeled “Gramma’s Recipes” in fine calligraphy. She closed the browser and put away her tablet. She was born a Georgia peach, but she couldn’t make a cobbler to save her life. Did that mean she wasn’t southern? Or maybe just not “Southern.” For Alice, there was no recipe box full of family traditions. Her younger years were filled with rental homes in different states and her father’s voice coaxing her toward a text book rather than a cookbook. Metalworking and fabrication held more interest than learning to flambé or sauté. Did it make her less of a woman that her cooking skills consisted of fresh salads

Ramblings of a Gamer: FFXII: Zodiac Age II or I Sometimes Miss Random Battle

Life's been busy, so gaming's been slow, but I managed to get a little time on FFXII: Zodiac Age. I'm currently hanging out on the Phon Coast, woefully unprepared for the flying fiends and in need of better equipment.

There are way too many birds for me to not have found Telekinesis.

I'm, of course, out of gil from my last shopping spree in which I loaded up on some spells I'd neglected early on, so I decided to go hunting. Unfortunately, hunting means finding the monsters on the map, battling, and then moving on to another map area to locate more monsters until I've made a circle back to my starting point.

I kinda need a lot of dough.

It's moments like these when I miss random battle systems. Need money or to harvest a drop item? No problem! Just spin around in this spot until the screen does its flashy transition to a battle. Need to fill your pockets with the equivalent of the king's coffers? Go for it. The enemies won't run out here.

Oddly enough in FFXII: ZA, I have killed enough skeletons in one section of a dungeon that they actually did not respawn when I left the screen and came back. I haven't run into it on the Phon Coast yet, but it's early, so once I manage to get a third long range weapon--now that I've opened my second jobs--I'll see if I can clear an area like in the mines.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Writer's Voice Contest Entry

The Writer's Voice 2013: LEAD ME BACK HOME

Ghosts...and the Girls Who Love Them Bloghop and Giveaway