“Things Every Southern Woman Should Know How to Make”

Image
Alice clicked on the headline, mildly curious about what yet another stranger thought should be in her kitchen repertoire. Pictures of China plates mounded with crispy fried chicken, greens, cobbler, and a pile of biscuits a mile high flooded the screen, all set off with a pitcher of sweet tea beaded with condensation. The table was set; an apron draped off to the side next to a box labeled “Gramma’s Recipes” in fine calligraphy. She closed the browser and put away her tablet. She was born a Georgia peach, but she couldn’t make a cobbler to save her life. Did that mean she wasn’t southern? Or maybe just not “Southern.” For Alice, there was no recipe box full of family traditions. Her younger years were filled with rental homes in different states and her father’s voice coaxing her toward a text book rather than a cookbook. Metalworking and fabrication held more interest than learning to flambé or sauté. Did it make her less of a woman that her cooking skills consisted of fresh salads

Ramblings of a Gamer: Open World Maps

I love the freedom of an open world map. I've spent endless hours traveling across Skyrim, climbing mountains and discovering hidden altars and caves, enjoying the scenery, and meeting other travelers on the road. Of course, there's danger; a dragon could swoop down and roast me, bandits could (attempt to) waylay me, or I could get caught in a magic battle between two random mages. Most of the time, though, I can go about my business, hunt a few bears, and take in the countryside.

Sure, there's a story line to follow, but the game doesn't demand it of me, and I can venture into it at any time.

FFXV allowed me to roam for the most part, too. I repeatedly left my car behind to enjoy a chocobo ride with the guys, visiting my favorite fishing spots and seeing how far I could get before night fell and the hordes of fiends came out. I spent a lot of time exploring the map, searching out hidden places until I reached the point of no return and was funneled to the ending.

Dragon Age: Inquisition wasn't quite open world, but it did have huge areas to explore. Unfortunately, it didn't feel like it was utilized to its full potential. For such an open area, there were few secrets to find.

I'd say my favorite part is the little things I stumble upon that might not be important for the story, but make the world so much richer. Like the books that tell tales about the histories of the lands, the forgotten altars, ruins, and signs that hint at stories lost to time that add depth and realism that makes me feel like I'm not just an observer, but a part of world.

So, give me open world games with tons of Easter eggs and hidden treasures that build up the lore of the land. I'll travel to the highest peaks and deepest valleys to find them and spend a ton of time on your game. Make me want to stay there, and I'm highly likely to buy the next one.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Writer's Voice Contest Entry

The Writer's Voice 2013: LEAD ME BACK HOME

Ghosts...and the Girls Who Love Them Bloghop and Giveaway